As a principal proponent of animal protection philanthropy, Animal Grantmakers’ foremost purpose is to help maximize the effectiveness of work undertaken by animal protection funders for the communities they serve.
We believe there are three key pillars of impact: Information, Interaction and Inspiration. Thus, Animal Grantmakers:
- Facilitates communication, education and cooperation among philanthropic organizations supporting animals;
- Fosters studies and provides information to grantmakers and other interested parties about animal philanthropy, its funding patterns, standards, trends, problems and issues; and,
- Encourages philanthropists and other grantmaking entities to make a significant commitment to funding that benefits animals.
Our activities currently include:
- Producing the Animal Grantmakers Annual Conference in a different city each fall, providing the opportunity for our members and prospective members to meet for several days of briefings and networking. The conference is not open to the general public, creating a setting where grantmakers can share ideas and conversations among peers. Conference presentations provide timely education about emerging issues and trends in animal protection and the broader philanthropic field;
- Creating opportunities for networking and exploration of collaborative efforts throughout the year, such as via our Listserv, members-only directory and private LinkedIn group;
- Commissioning studies that document the geographic coverage, topical scope and financial significance of grantmaking on behalf of animals. This data can be helpful for funders wishing to consider new or expanded initiatives to address areas of critical need;
- Maintaining a robust library of compiled third-party research, resources, information and decision-support tools on the members website;
- Publishing a quarterly e-newsletter to inform members about news of their colleague organizations and Animal Grantmakers as a whole, upcoming events, helpful resources, animal-related news, important legislation and more;
- Hosting and co-sponsoring webinars on a wide variety of animal protection and grantmaking topics for year-round education; and,
- Providing one-on-one assistance to new foundations or existing foundations new to animal protection philanthropy, helping them to identify areas of programmatic and/or operational focus that will best fulfill their particular missions and interests.
As Animal Grantmakers evolves further, we will continue to add member benefits. We are currently preparing to ramp up our efforts to promote animal philanthropy to other funders and the public.